It is the mission of the Revolutions Program to provide quality behavioral modification and psychiatric treatment to individuals and their families in a manner consistent with the highest ethical standards of care.
Philosophy and Focus
Revolutions is a program within Heartland Behavioral Health Services and provides inpatient treatment for males ages 12 to 19. The program is based on a combination of therapeutic approaches, which have proven success with struggling youth. Revolutions provides a holistic approach to recovery through management of psychiatric, emotional and trauma-related behaviors that impact the patient’s ability to live and function effectively in their home and community. Behaviors pose a significant risk of the young person harming themselves or others and may be related to cognitive, emotional, social or behavioral dysregulation.
Revolutions provides patients an opportunity to develop insight into their thoughts, emotions, actions and reactions, and make a fundamental change in their behavior by learning healthy and functional self-management skills. Self-management skills include mindfulness, relaxation and self-soothing, mood identification and regulation, distress tolerance, interpersonal relations and personal responsibility. The core of Revolutions is the belief that individuals are responsible for what they choose to say and what they choose to do.
Revolutions emphasizes natural control through the use of self-management skills. There are effective medications to assist with psychiatric symptoms and the treatment team will recommend these judiciously. The use of PRN medications will only be utilized after the resident has attempted all other avenues of managing his emotional distress and all primary members of the patient’s treatment team recommend medication.
The holistic approach to treatment includes
- A safe, structured and non-threatening inpatient milieu
- Comprehensive assessment of needs
- Individual, family and group therapy
- Dialectical, cognitive and rational emotive behavioral therapy techniques and concepts
- Skill building and education focused on impulse identification and control, mindfulness, relaxation and self-soothing, mood identification and regulation, distress tolerance, interpersonal relations and personal responsibility
- Equine Assisted Psychotherapy (EAP)
- Expressive therapies focusing on art, literature, drama and recreation
- Medication education and management
- Substance abuse treatment, if appropriate
- Case management and aftercare planning
- The resident will sign a Revolutions Behavioral Contract prior to beginning advancement in the program.
- The resident will fully cooperate with individual, family and group therapy sessions.
- The resident will make a commitment to actively apply non-destructive methods of self-management and self-soothing.
Goal and Objectives
The focus of Revolutions is on building a life worth living by internalizing the key principle – I am responsible for what I say and what I do. This is achieved through the development of healthy and functional self-management skills. The therapeutic environment is a structured daily regimen, which involves a balanced approach to acceptance where patients are in the moment using change strategies and also supporting their growth.
The residential clinical team recommends residents for the Revolutions Program based on the reviews of the following criteria:
- Enhancing symptom management for clinical diagnosis of mood disorders, anxiety disorders, impulse-control, personality disorder traits and/or trauma-related disorders.
- Behaviors that create a significant risk of the patient harming himself and/or others.
- Extreme defiance that places the young person at risk of harm.
- An overall lack of respect for others/property and/or lack of progress in traditional residential treatment programs.