The Serenity Program at Heartland Behavioral Health Care offers short-term, comprehensive treatment for substance abuse and substance-dependent adolescents. The Serenity Program provides inpatient treatment for males and females ages 12 to 21. The focus of treatment is a holistic approach to recovery from abuse and dependence of substances. In conjunction with the treatment of substance abuse, the underlying issues of the post-traumatic stress, depression and anxiety are addressed through a variety of treatment modalities. Treatment planning assists patients with developing healthy alternatives to tolerating emotional distress other than the use of substances. Empowerment is a key component, as well as providing patients with an opportunity to feel a form of healthy control. They will develop a sense of trust for themselves and for those around them.
The Serenity Program is a program that emphasizes natural control, rather than control incited by the use of medications. It is important for patients to gain insight into their emotions and to be free of medications that mask the patient’s control. While there are effective medications to assist with the symptoms of depression and anxiety, the treatment team will recommend these sparingly. The use of PRN medications will only be utilized after the patient attempts all other avenues of managing the emotional distress.
The Serenity Program utilizes a comprehensive approach to treatment that includes Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, a brief 12-step approach, relapse prevention work and overall substance abuse education.
What makes the Serenity Program different from other inpatient substance abuse programs is our comprehensive approach to treatment. Our milieu environment provides safety and security within an established residential setting. We provide on-site 24-hour coverage by nurses and physicians. We have a behavior modification program in place to allow treatment for dual-diagnosis substance abuse/dependence and other Axis I diagnoses. We have a recreation therapist that provides daily Recreation Therapy, as well as Equestrian Therapy.
The comprehensive approach to treatment will include:
- A safe, structured and non threatening inpatient milieu
- Comprehensive assessment of needs
- 2 hours of individual therapy a week
- 1-2 hours of family therapy a week
- 3 hours a day of group therapy
- 14 hours a week of skill-building focused on impulse identification and control
- Education focused on distress tolerance skills, emotion regulation and self-soothing methods
- Recreation therapy completed by a Certified Recreation Therapist
- EAP Therapy
- 24-hour physician coverage
- Case management and aftercare planning to the patient’s home community
Treatment Team will include:
- Clinical Therapist
- Registered Nurse
- Case Manager
- Milieu Staff
- Certified Teaching Staff
- Certified Recreation Therapist
- Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association Certified Therapist